Marie la Fauconniere was born in the closing years of the 13th century to the seigneur of a minor estate near Calais. She was fortunate enough to be chosen as a play-fellow to Jeanne de Coucy and shared her remarkably broad education until the age of 14, when her parents wed her to a Polish nobleman, Stefan of Kraków. Stefan had been gifted by King Philippe with an estate in Picardy known as Chateau Faucon, as recompense for his martial services to the crown. Luckily for Marie, Stefan was a good and kindly man whom she came to love. His tenants called her €œla Fauconniere€ for her love of hunting and to distinguish her from his sister who was also named Marie. Stefan and Marie had one daughter before a sudden fever claimed Stefan€™s life in 1328. In 1331, while visiting Calais, Marie made the acquaintance of a Scotsman who had been in the company of James Douglas on his ill-fated expedition to the Holy Land to bury the heart of King Robert Bruce. She and Lochlainn MacGrioghair discovered that they shared many tastes and interests and it rapidly became clear that they were destined for each other. Marie signed over her French lands in favor of her daughter and departed for the Scottish highlands. Dame Marie now lives quietly as a twice-widowed lady of good breeding and moderate resources should, spending her days working in the herb garden and still-room and tending to the needs of the estate; but she can still often be heard singing as she hunts on the moors, oversees the kitchen, or does needlework by the warmth of the fire. In the SCA, Marie teaches basic sewing skills, food preservation, and the making of Period-type herbal scents and cosmetics; fences (poorly but enthusiastically) and is a Marshal of the Field; writes and performs music and poetry; and plays with wood, fiber, and/or ink and paint whenever possible. She has been Meadows Herald, Regional Seneschal, and local Seneschal, Exchequer, and Chatelaine. In the modern world she is a sales-data and process analyst working for a major luxury-wine importer in NE Illinois.